Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Only For you Excerpt



Another exclusive peek into Only For You, which will be released November 15, 2013.

When I woke up, I felt Sean’s neck against my face. I was lying on my side, my back against the couch, and Sean was facing me. His slow breaths fell on my forehead, and the cadence of his breathing made me want to fall asleep again. My leg was wrapped around his, and his hand was wrapped around my waist, resting on the small of my back. We had slept together often, but we’d never cuddled like that before. It didn’t bother me.
            Sean opened his eyes and focused his stare on my face. “Morning,” he mumbled.
            I yawned. “Good morning.”
            He didn’t move his hand from my back. In fact, he pulled me closer to him, burying his face in the crook of my neck. “I don’t want to get up.”
            I sighed. “Me neither.”
            “But I’m hungry.”
            I laughed. “So, is that your subtle way of asking me to cook breakfast while you go back to sleep?”
            “Did it work?” I could hear the smile in his voice.
            “Not even a little bit.”
            He sighed. “Damn.”
            “Come on,” I said. “It’ll be fun.”
            He made a disgusted face. “Cooking isn’t fun. It’s a girly job.”
            “Excuse me?” I asked, offended.
            “I mean, it’s manly,” he said quickly. “I would be honored to cook with you.”
            I rolled my eyes. “Fine,” I said. “I’ll cook.” I rose from the couch and walked into the kitchen. I opened the fridge and grabbed a carton of eggs. When I turned around, he was standing there.
            He took the carton from my hands. “Allow me.” He walked to the stove and started making the scrambled eggs. I brewed a pot of coffee and made the bacon and the pancakes. Working together, we made our meal quickly.
            We sat at the kitchen table and ate our breakfast in silence.
            After he shoveled the food into his mouth, he said, “You are an amazing cook, Scarlet. My eggs are pathetic.”
            “I think they are good, Sean.” I took a bite and tried to hide the disgusted look on my face.
            He laughed. “I’ll get better,” he said. “You’ve cooked for me so many times. I want to do it for you sometime.”
            I smiled. The gesture touched my heart. He never even offered that for Penelope. I wondered if getting over her was getting easier now that we were spending so much time together. I sincerely hoped that he hadn’t thought about her for the past few days. I hated seeing him so miserable. After the way he protected me the night before, pushing that thug to the ground, I had even more respect for him. Penelope had a man that would do anything for her, sacrifice his life to protect her, and she didn’t want him. I didn’t know who she was sleeping with, but I knew he was a lesser man than Sean. Sometimes Sean could be vulgar and sarcastic, but he had a heart of gold. There was nothing that he wouldn’t do for me. I considered telling him about my boss and how he was harassing me, but I knew the knowledge would send him to the brink with rage. Besides, I couldn’t have my best friend fight all my battles for me, even though that seemed like the easier route.
            “Do you want to go to the gym?” Sean asked.
            If he was ready to start working out again, I knew he was improving. Even though I had absolutely no interest in going to the gym on a Saturday, I knew Sean needed it. “Sure.”
            “Good,” he said. “You need to go.”
            I raised my eyebrow at him. “Excuse me?”
            “After all the popcorn you ate, your pants must not fit.” He smiled at me.
            I rolled my eyes. “Hey, guys like having a little something to grab.”
            He laughed. “That’s true”
            “Do you think I’m too chunky?”
            He stared at me for a moment. “You are a fine woman, Scar,” he said. “No man can tell you otherwise.”
            “Damn right.”
            He laughed. “Are you ready?”
            “Just let me change.” I walked into my bedroom and put on my spandex leggings, which made me look long and thin, in addition to making my ass look great. Then, I pulled on my sports bra and a slim fitting top. When I looked in the mirror, I nodded my head in approval.
            Sean stared at me for a moment, but then turned his gaze away.
            “Were you checking me out?” I asked.
            He smiled. “Just your ass.”
            I rolled my eyes. “Let’s go.”

1 comment: